Friday, August 20, 2010

Use pressure to slow cook during the week

We're moving house,  so last night's dinner was about using all the leftovers.Rump steak, mushrooms, capsicum, tomato, sweet and regular potato, onion, garlic, stock, mustard and red wine.  My mum gave me a pressure cooker about 3 years ago and I'm ashamed to say I have never used it. So I thought I'd give it a go. I fried the onion, garlic and capisicum in the pressure cooker, added the sliced rump steak and some mushrooms. I was drinking some lovely Shiraz so sloshed a bit of that in, 3 teaspoons of dijon mustard and half a cup of stock and then it was time. I put on the pressure cooker lid and then mashed the sweet and regular potato with butter and milk. The pressure cooker 'tooted' 4 times and I opened the lid.  The meat was melt in the mouth and the sauce was rich and hearty and tasted amazing spooned over the creamy potato. Not bad for 30 minutes including prep and cooking..Why didn't I use my pressure cooker sooner? Thanks Mum!

3 comments:

  1. YUM - you have inspired me to buy a pressure cooker - beats my goats cheese and tuna on rye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our pressure cooker lost the piece on the lid which makes the toot toot .. but I can say 30 minutes sounds like a goer to me .. on the other hand I do love the slow cooker too.. ho hum - the big decisions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good Uma.. pressure cooker very good for beef shin lamb shanks and corned beef

    ReplyDelete